All event organisers that are signed up to the Family Arts Standards, whether they’re a theatre, an artist, an orchestra or a dance company, will provide some activities that all family members can enjoy together. They are welcoming to families, with helpful staff, good facilities and considered pricing. They give clear information to help families decide what is or isn’t suitable for them and their children.
You can find the full list of organisations signed up as well as search for a family-friendly organiser near you here.
Not every show or activity offered by organisations who hold the Standards will be suitable for families so organisations with the Family Arts Standards will provide clear information so you can decide what is or isn’t suitable for your family.
All Family Arts Standards organisers have a Family Profile on this website. You can also check their websites or contact them for more information. They may also use the Fantastic for Families badge to highlight family activities in their programme listings or online:
An organisation that displays the Family Arts Standards Badge will:
- Offer programming and activities for a range of ages.
- Take practical steps to make performances /activities accessible to as wide an age range as possible: so appropriate events can be enjoyed and appreciated by all members of the family group taking part.
- Provide clear guidance on age appropriateness and sensitive issues so families can decide if an activity is suitable for them.
- Consider the needs of families and take into account transport issues when planning dates of activities, start and finish times, length of performance/activity, length of intervals or breaks.
- Have clear pricing and take into account the diversity of families when considering
pricing and ‘family offers’.
- Ask families about their experiences and views. Highlight changes that have been made and any barriers to achieving other suggestions.
- Have a clear public policy for addressing complaints.
- Reach out to and welcome all families to enjoy the arts and try new experiences.
- Understand the needs of families of different ages and from different communities and remain flexible and responsive to them.
- Ensure staff are trained to be aware of the barriers that may exist for families that
include disabled adults and children, including those with complex needs and/ or
- Have helpful staff who can respond to families’ questions and needs.
- Provide clear & honest information in print and on the internet about the facilities they have available, whilst ensuring they provide:
- Clean and safe facilities
- Suitable access for wheelchair users and buggies
- Advice if spaces for wheelchair users and buggies are limited and/or advance booking is required
- Appropriate seating for children and those with limited mobility
- Accessible toilet and baby changing facilities that both men and women can access
- Free drinking water
- Healthy food and drink options suitable for families (if refreshments are available)
- Comfortable seating for feeding babies, including breastfeeding
- Clear signage and easily identifiable staff/personnel
- Clear travel information
In exceptional circumstances, standards holders may not be able to provide all of the facilities included in this list. If this occurs it will be clearly advertised so families are aware of limitations when planning their visit.
What to do if your visit or experience does not meet the Family Arts Standards?
Is the organisation signed up to the Standards?
All organisations that are signed up are listed on this website. You can also check for Standards holders when browsing Fantastic for Families event - if an organiser is signed up, the logo will be displayed on their event listings.
Yes, they are:
Give your feedback to the organisation, so they can learn from your experience. They should offer a variety of feedback options so you could talk to a staff member, or use the suggestions box etc.
If you’re not happy with their response then please contact us by email: email@example.com
No, they are not:
Why not suggest they use the Standards to improve the experience they offer to families? You can send them here to find out more.
Download the Family Arts Standards here
Download the Standards in Welsh here
Download the Standards in Welsh here Save